It's Thursday and time to play at Pals Paper Arts! We hope you will join us in our "Clean and Simple Soften the Edges" challenge. Yep...some days you just need to take the edge off. Whether you are rounding, accessorizing or even smudging them, we are challenging you to "soften those edges"! For my first card created with the Christmas Lodge stamp set, I wanted to design a "rustic" style card. Although I may have "over-distressed" a wee bit, I hope that you still enjoy it.
The Stampin' Schach Design Tips: Rustic Meets Distressing
- Prepare the Paper! Frostwood Lodge Designer Series Paper is absolutely stunning. The only fault I find is that it incorporates Whisper White into its patterns. For something rustic, I prefer paper which coordinates with Very Vanilla. So I lightly brayered it with Crumb Cake ink to take the edge off the white.
- Emboss! The Christmas Lodge stamp was inked with VersaMark, stamped onto Very Vanilla card stock and then heat embossed with Cherry Cobbler Stampin' Emboss Powder. What could be yummier!
- Stitch! Small holes were punched around the perimeter of the image oval. Hemp Twine was then whipstitched around the edge. Don't worry if your holes are not spaced evenly...you are trying to achieve a "rustic" look...not a "perfect" look!
- Hemp Twine was also used to cross-stitch on the Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border Punch.
- Improvise! I created the elongated Decorative Label mat behind the sentiment simply by punching out the label and tracing the design at the ends of an appropriate length of Very Vanilla card stock. I then cut it out with scissors and sanded the edges to remove any bumps.
- Distress! The Waterspot stamp from French Foliage was inked in Soft Suede and stamped off once. It was used to randomly stamped the image and the sentiment, re-inking and stamping off as needed. Soft Suede and a Sponge Dauber was used to soften all of the edges. The Color Spritzer Tool and a Soft Suede Stampin' Write Marker provides instant speckles.
Your comments are important to me, and I enjoy our little chats! Of course, if you ever have any questions about the cards that I create or the techniques I use, I am only an email away! Until next time...
Coming Soon: Good-by to the Summer Mini; My Picks from the Holiday Mini
Stamp Sets: Christmas Lodge (W 123767, C 123769), French Foliage (W 120845, C 121166); Inks: VersaMark (102283), Crumb Cake (121030), Soft Suede (115657), Soft Suede Stampin' Write Marker (120973); Designer Series Paper: Frostwood Lodge (124002); Card Stock: Soft Suede (115318), Naturals Ivory (101849), Very Vanilla (101650), Cherry Cobbler (119685); Tools: Heat Tool (100005), Sponge Dauber (102892), Color Spritzer Tool (107066), Decorative Label Punch (120907), Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border Punch (119275), Cherry Cobbler Stampin' Emboss Powder (122949), Big Shot (113439), Ovals Orginals Die (114525), Brayer (102395), Corner Rounder (119871), 1/16" Circle Handheld Punch (101227); Glitz and Glam: Chantilly Crochet Trim (118480), Hemp Twine (100982), Vintage Trinkets (118764)